- My annual review now uses entirely self fetching components, which should make life easier in future.
- Moved to prerendering pages wherever possible. Most of the site is static markdown, no reason to rerender it for every request.
- Launched the new Astro version of this site! I’ll probably write it up at some point.
- Added a new Example component for, would you believe it, examples. Can see it on my tailwind article.
- Started a complete rebuild in Astro. So far I’m really liking the whole “island” concept.
- Honestly, just lots of porting things, I’m not going to list everything. Read the rest of the changelog, I’ve ported everything except whatever you can no longer find.
- In an attempt to reduce page size my mobile menu is now entirely JS free, and my theme switcher is ~25 lines of pure JS.
and Age component on my About page are now pure JS.
- Rebuilt my Destiny Timer with vanilla JS. It’s a bit barebones at the moment, but it works.
- My spotify embed can now display the current track, and it will update automagically.
- Completely rewrote the backend logic of my Carrot Clicker game, and switched the frontend from React to Preact.
- Spent pretty much the whole month banging my head against the new server components approach in Next.js 13. Honestly the idea sounds brilliant, but I don’t think it’s something that can easily be retrofitted onto an existing project.
- Rebuilt my grid layout with some new components. Makes it possible to do some fun things.
- Replaced my mishmash of icons with Lucide.
- Rebuilt my hearthstone component to be a bit nicer.
- Updated to Next.js 13. I’m using the new
next/imagecomponents, but still lots to play with… Component level data fetching, Layouts, Server components. I’m going to be busy 😊
- Removed sentry. It was useful, but not really necessary, and it felt a bit invasive. I’ve decided to just write code without errors instead.
- Fixed my steam profile image. They’d changed the CDN domain.
- Fixed issues with my diablo and 12in12 integrations.
- Tidying up my code for loading/typing my articles, projects and pages.
- Started using the frontmatter VS Code plugin for editing content. It seems pretty cool so far.
- Removed some dependencies I wasn’t using.
- Articles now show the last time they were updated, based on the git history.
- Can now view a separate list of my draft articles.
- Added my current spotify track to the footer.
- Some vague performance improvements and error handling.
- Added some indieweb support.
- Restyled a lot of older components to match the newer blockier style I’m going for.
- Finally fixed the issue with the palette in my tailwind article.
- Fixed an issue where Blizzard’s Diablo API being down stopped my site building.
- Started building a dumb clicker game to pass the time.
- Added my Living Pokedex, complete with some basic filtering.
- Replaced my layout with a new grid based one, which makes it easier to handle full bleed content.
- Finally got round to adding a mobile menu so that I can have more than 3 items in the menu.
- Added a Links page with my latest pinboard links.
- Added a page that shows my Diablo 3 characters using the Blizzard API, because why not.
- Replaced the IGDB library with a simpler custom fetching library.
- Even though plausible is entirely anonymous and stores no personal information, I’ve added an opt-out for Plausible tracking to the privacy page.
- Removed references to my old site, as I’ve taken it offline
- Added view counts to articles straight from my Plausible stats.
- Completely replaced Styled Components with Tailwind so I can do things like this.
- This took ages, and the end result is a site that looks mostly the same.
- Spotify play button shakes now with high tempo tracks… This is a bug but I kind of like it.
- NextJS 12, and all the other dependencies.
- Tweaks to some styling.
- Fixed some issues with the Hearhstone card lists.
- Removed the ‘brown’ theme option.
- Custom open graph images for all pages and articles.
- Other SEO related teaks to metatags.
- Moved from
d2api/date, using Bungie API to get Destiny season dates.
- Spotify tracks now share an audio player, rather than having a player each.
- Spotify tracks now bounce along with the music. Sometimes it looks odd.
- Spotify tracks show the album art and details when playing.
- Browser theme colour now respects theme choice.
- Now properly handling the iPhone notch.
- Ported 12 in 12 from my old site, integrating it with IGDB.
- Refactored several components into a new ‘Card’ component which I’m now overusing.
- New Homepage
- Added a new custom icon system. Check out how I generate my icons from a Figma file
- Moved theme selection out of the styled-components theme layer and into CSS variables so I can avoid the flash of the default theme.
- Dynamic favicon based on user theme.
- Better markdown content styling
- Radix components for toggle groups and collapsible elements.
- Switched to using Radix Colours instead of a customisable hue, because colour a11y is a hard and I’ll let someone else handle it.
- Added RSS and JSON feeds for articles.
- Custom Hearthstone decklist components.
- Ported my Destiny Timer from my old site, and added some Destiny API helpers.
- Updated to Next.js 11.
- Added some fun Steam API experiements.
- Added some fun Spotify API fiddling.
- Better code blocks.
- A complete rebuild in next.js.
- I’m currently porting things over from the old Gatsby site.
- A fully customisable colour scheme. Read more on how I did it.
- Refactored my Destiny Timer to use
date-fnssince I’m already using it for the age on my about page.
- Started highlighting my TODOs on the actual site. It seems in keeping with the whole “learn in public” deal. Created a new component to display them consistently. Might look at collating them all into a todo list page of some kind.
- Updated my 12 in 12 page for 2021, and move last years to a separate page
- Also trying out Umami for self hosted statistics. It doesn’t store anything specific about visitors, and doesn’t rely on storing anything client side like cookies, which is nice.
- Trying out Plausible for stats, because they’re privacy focused and store no information, and I love graphs.
- Made my build pipeline even more complicated.
- Fixed the logic that works out my age on my about page.
- Moved that logic into a new
<Age>component that makes it more fun.
- Fixed some a11y issues with my
<Age>components and keyboard navigation.
- New Year: New faster site.
- Switched from react to preact, reduced the JS bundle by 25%.
- Finally caved and moved over to Github.
- Updated a few links on the site from Gitlab to Github.
- Spent far too long migrating my Gitlab CI over to Github actions.
- Fixed an iOS rendering issue on Destiny timers.
- Destiny Xur timer now counts down his leaving time as well as arrival.
- Updated my 12 in 12 page.
- Added bit more personality to the 12 in 12 statuses.
- Rebuild my Destiny timers page.
- More list style tweaking
- Added a new
<YesScript>component, so that things that require JS can be hidden when JS is disabled.
- Tweaked the header sizing. I like it.
- Started working on the footer. Still a work in progress, but it’s getting there.
- Added a placeholder page to link to site feeds.
- Playing with list items again, cannot get them how I want them.
- Added descriptions to RSS feeds.
- Fixed a few issues so I now have a valid RSS feed and a valid JSON feed.
- My “builder” docker image only gets rebuilt when it’s needed. This makes no difference to you, but it cuts 5 minutes off my deploy times!
- Simplify the partially active nav logic.
- Added a bunch of punctuation to this page…
- Fixed the flipper jumping the page to the top.
- Fixed print display in dark mode.
- Added link text when printing.
- Other printy fixes, like preventing code blocks from spanning pages.
- Fixed dates on articles.
- Fixed some transitions that were occuring with reduce motion on.
- Added active navigation links on child links.
- Sticky sidebar on 12 in 12.
- More consistent vertical rythm.
- A new styleguide page.
- Undid the new header, didn’t like it.
- Tidier, more consistent styling.
- A much prettier header.
- Dark toggle moved to header.
- Mobile menu toggle.
- Some a11y fixes.
- Refactored my
so it can be used elsewhere.
- Rejigged my ‘draft’ functionality.
- Some nicer styling on article list.
- An About page!
- The first attempt at my gallery component.
- Added a new Destiny 2 Tools page.
- Hopefully fixed cloudflare caching.
- MDX support.
- Tidied up dark mode logic to prevent flashes on toggle button.
- Now with actual under-construction.gif (well, .svg).
- Slightly tweak code snippet styling.
- Moved hosting over to a custom docker container, and tweaked all the caching and things.
- Moved styling over to styled components. Not sure if I’ll keep them or not.
- Linked headers, smart punctuation, smarter internal links. Thanks plugins!
- Simple dark mode toggle.
- Banged my face against configuring dokku.
- Moved back to gitlab pages.
- Moved from gitlab pages to dokku (this is here so I can see if it worked).
- Playing with hover/focus effects.
- Project repo link styling.
- Images in CMCUCUP.
- Better footer.
- Menu generated from code.
- Added PWA goodness with offline support.
- Some a11y fixes.
- Some colour and layout.
- Dark mode.
- 12 in 12.
- Added articles listing page.
- Added projects listing page.
- Added main navigation.
- Added post dates to articles.
- Hide articles from lists if no date.
- Hide articles from lists if draft.
- Added new projects page type.
- Added CMCUCP page.
- Fixed automatically generated slugs.
- New version of this site uploaded.
- Automatic builds and hosting on gitlab pages.
- Added this /changelog page.